[Gpdd] Announcement - Delilah/Re: Evander Holypig

Julia Porter tabithaporter at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 1 10:21:01 EST 2003

David and Beth's e-mail upset me because I have spent the weekend going through a similar story with Delilah, so you have all my sympathies.

Last Tuesday, I noticed that Delilah was a bit off colour and not eating properly.  As I have another sick piggie, Iolanthe, I was destined for the vets anyway, so I took Delilah with me.  He gave her a very thorough examination but couldn't find anything wrong with her.  By Wednesday, she wasn't eating a thing and so I took the afternoon off work and went and bought a liquidizer - I liquidized some mashed up GP food and cucumber and tried to syringe it into her, it was very difficult.  I contacted the CCT who gave me some advice about what drugs I should give her and also some tips on syringe feeding.

On Thursday, we went to the vet and got the drugs and some critical care and started feeding her at night, but by the time I went to bed, I didn't think she'd make it through the night but much to my surprise, she did.  I wish now that she hadn't.  I took the day off work and spent all day Friday and Saturday syringe feeding her every hour and also had 2 visits to the vets for an injection of fluids.  I had to go out for a couple of hours on Saturday night, and when I returned she had left us.

I am absolutely devastated - she was only 18 months old!  I had thought she was getting better as she had fought with the vet in the afternoon and I thought she was getting stronger.  I certainly had no idea she would have gone by the time I got home.  I just feel so bad that she spent her final 2 days getting food syringed into her every hour - it wasn't a pleasant experience for either of us, and I just wish she hadn't had to go through that.  I keep asking myself if I could have saved her if I'd got the critical on Wednesday etc. but I guess I could torture myself forever with "what ifs", but it won't bring my baby back.  I also wish I could stop singing the Tom Jones song that goes "why, why, why Delilah?" although it's very fitting.

Delilah was only 18 months old, but she was the boss!  She was black and white - her head was white with a black splodge and her body was half and half.  Indeed, if you looked at her tummy, it looked like someone had drawn a line down the middle and coloured one side white and one side black.  She was just lovely.  I miss my baby and want her back - all my other piggies are a bit lost as well, especially Timothy who was her special friend.  It's not fair that she's left us so early - this time last week, she was bossing us all about and now she's gone.

What else can I say?  I'm so sorry, Delilah - I did my best, I hope you know that!

With love

Julia, Belinda, Iolanthe, Cordelia and Timothy, remembering Tabitha, Charlotte, Perdita, Ophelia and Delilah at the bridge