[Gpdd] Health: Surgery Questions

Leah McNeil lconsuela at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 2 11:24:56 EST 2003

Hello Slaves,
As many of you know, my Brownie has suffered with
recurring UTI's and she just recently finished up a
14-day course of Baytril. I check her urine every day
using urine strips and she still has a tiny
trace of blood in her urine. Also, occassionally
she whines when she pees. So, I am taking her
back to the Exotics Vet tomorrow (Wednesday) and
I'm going to get x-rays done again. The last time
Brownie had x-rays was in July. I am hoping
(and praying) she doesn't have a bladder stone,
but I always have that fear.

If she does have a stone, then I am going to
schedule bladder surgery. She is a whee bit over
2 years old and she is for the most part a healthy
and active piggie. Now, if she doesn't have a stone,
then I would like to have her spayed (hysterectomy).

So, I am scared for my pig because I know that
surgery is a very serious thing for a piggie.

Here's my question:
I know that there are questions that I should
ask my Vet before I let her perform surgery on
my baby. So, if you would, could you send me
some questions to ask, like, "Can a guinea pig
continue eating up until the surgery?" I know
the answer is "yes", but if a Vet said, "no",
then I may want to find a more experienced Vet.
I have a mental list of questions, and I have
saved several digest postings with surgery
information. But, I want to gather as much info
as possible.

Thank you in advance.
        Love 'n Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeps,
            Leah...Slave to Brownie Bear :-)