[Gpdd] Re: Health: Penny wheezing

Dawnda Stricklen dawndastricklen at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 3 00:03:32 EST 2003

Hello Linda

There is what is called Non-infectious Ruttling. This
is what "Diseases of Domestic Guinea Pigs" by V.C.G.
Richardson says:

The aetiology of this is unclear. Gunea pigs of the
short-nosed type seem more prone to developing
abnormal respiratory sounds. It is more common in
winter when the hay and dry food are more dusty. Other
causes that have been suggested are sawdust, high
polle counts, and stress in highly strung individuals.
In the cases assoiciated with hay and pollen the
likely mechanism is the development of an allergic
type bronchitis, which may clear once the allergen has
been eliminated.

Clincal Signs:  The respiratory sounds become wheezy
and rough sounding. In comparison with infectious
conditions the guinea pig remains otherwise healthy
and eats well.

Treatment:  A 5-day course of sulphadimidine can be
given, but some cases may never be completely cured.

My guinea pig, Sabrina, has this when the pollen
counts are high. She later developed an enlarged heart
with congestive heart failure. A guinea pig will
wheeze with this when the fluid starts building up in
their lungs. They usually had fluid build up under
their chin and on their sides, as well. I thought my
first guinea pig,Sophie, that had this was just
getting fat. When I ask the vet to look at her, he
said that's not fat it is fluid. He started her on
lasix right away. She was only 1 year old. I hope this
helps!

Dawnda

=====
http://embark.to/guineapighaven