[Gpdd] ANNOUNCEMENT - New to digest

Mightywillis at cs.com Mightywillis at cs.com
Thu Dec 4 20:24:38 EST 2003

Hello.  I have been waiting for the "perfect" time to get another guinea pig.
 Now is the time.  I had two years ago and they passed on.  Our daughter is
older now, we moved out of our apartment into a house, and I've been waiting
for 3+ years for that evasive "perfect" time.
I thought first of adopting rescue, but there aren't any close enough to me.
Driving far isn't an option with my daughter.  I checked out one pet store
and was appalled.  The store was a huge vaulted-ceiling area, and the minute I
stepped through the doors, I smelled rodents.  I found the GPs and was appalled
for the second time.  There were nine piggies in a maybe 2-1/2 feet x 1-1/2
foot plastic cage.  There were very young females and at least one male all
together.  One of the young females was obviously pregnant.  They had an adult GP
in a 1-foot x 2-foot cage.  My heart went out, but I have to build my C&C
cage yet (still trying to find the cubes).
I need some advice.  I will ultimately make my own decision, but just want
some opinions here to weigh.  Should I purchase one of these GPs?  I want to
help them, but I don't want my precious piggy to die before her time either.  I
know it's not guaranteed to die, but I'm afraid, I guess.  Another store sells
just females, the cages are so clean, and the store smells fresh.  What do
y'all think?

Julie - piggy lover / future piggy owner