[Gpdd] RE: CARE How to deal with a solo pig

LJ GOMBAR lj at theurnstudio.com
Fri Dec 5 12:45:04 EST 2003

  Jodi-
I first got a boy piggy, Piglet.. And he lived by himself for about a
year.  I then rescued a girl piggy, Sugar.  I wanted them to live
together but no babies, so I had Piglet snipped.  They now have lived
together for the better part of 5 years.  Sugar bosses him around and he
puts up with her most of the time.  He also "protects" her.  When she is
picked up and protests, sometimes he goes and chitters at us.  Though he
is all show and no bite.
Maybe your pigger needs a sassy female...he may be so smitten he does
not care that he has a "friend' to "compete" with.
 I don't like to leave the 2 alone either.  We have on occasion, for a
weekend, left them together with the cat (that is scared of the pigs).
A neighbor will look in on them.
 But now that they are older, the last time we went to Bill's parents we
took them because we would be gone for more than 2 nights.  We would
usually go Friday night and return Sunday afternoon.(so usually that
would be one DAY alone... And 2 nights.Piglet and Sugar were  a bit
cramped, but content in Piglet's old cage 2x2.5.  I cleaned their
blankets or towels morning and night.  They had fun meeting my neice and
nephew and enjoyed lots of treats.
LJ
(off to finish sculpting guinea pig magnet fronts)