[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Pig not eating pellets

Meredith Farrelly merrie at bu.edu
Sat Dec 6 13:11:34 EST 2003

Hi, I'm a new member and enjoying the digest very much so far.  My baby sow, Cecelia, is the love of my life.  I've had her for a little more than two months now, and she has grown from a tiny little handful to a budding little lady.  My question is about her eating habits.  She's on Oxbow Cavy Performance, and she seems to like it well enough, but it the past few weeks, she seems to have discovered just how much she likes timothy hay.  It's always been available to her, but now she's eating it with a passion, devouring mountains of it while her pelleted food pretty much just sits there.  She does eat some os her pellets, but very little, certainly less than 1/8 cup.  She also gets fresh veggies every day and sometimes fruit.  Do I need to worry?  I know hay and veggies is a healthy diet, but I'm worried about her getting enough nutrients, especially since she's a growing pig.
  Also, Oxbow recommends supplementing vitamin C if the piggie is not eating the RDA of pellets. . . is this necessary if she's eating enough veggies and fruit?  Can these supplements be harmful? I've read a lot of mixed reviews on the internet, some people think supplements are great, some avoid them like the plague. . . just wondering what your thoughts were.
  Cecelia and I thank you very much!
    --Meredith