[Gpdd] re: having a solo guinea pig

Gordysmom at aol.com Gordysmom at aol.com
Mon Dec 8 00:48:22 EST 2003

This is in response to Jodi's question as to whether or not her piggy is
better off free and solo.  Even though most experts recommend keeping guinea pigs
in the company of at least one other since they are pack animals by nature, it
sounds to me from your description that Gussie is quite content and happy
with his arrangement.  From the sounds of it, he has formed quite a bond with
you!!   That's great.  I think that pigs who share the companionship of other
pigs tend to bond more with each other, and therefore aren't as close to we human
companions!   I think that when you are gone for more than a day, you should
probably take Gussie to a friend's house so that he isn't lonely for human
contact.  I've traveled with my pigs, but there are times when taking them along
just isn't possible.  Yes, it might mean he has to be confined to a cage while
in someone else's home, but I don't think that would scar him for life.  You
sound like a great guinea pig mom!!!
Janie and piggies