[Gpdd] <BEHAVIOR> Re: Solo Piggie & Toffee's Birthday :)

Toffee & Reese's Mom toffeepig at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 8 08:25:46 EST 2003

First of all- hello everyone!  I have not written in a very long time, but I
am here reading.  Unfortunately neither Toffee nor Reese could attend the
celebration at Cape Alavra, but I read them each and every post!

Next, I would like to respond to Jodi's questions about her solo pig.  We
bought Toffee nearly 2 years ago & intended on keeping one pig only (we
weren't supposed to have any in our apartment... but...).  A few months
after we had him we bought Taffy.  They were both very young when we bought
them.  They were caged separately most of the time (being intact male &
female) but enjoyed eachother's company immensely.  While we were moving in
to our house in April of this year, Taffy passed away from heat stroke.  To
make a long story short, we built a new cage for Toffee (C&C) and he was
unsure about it at first- having so much more room!  (Our first cage was
homemade, but smaller & 2 levels with lots of hiding places).  I really
wanted to get a friend for Toffee & one day we were at the store & I saw a
little black & brown guy.  You guessed it!  We checked to make sure he was a
male (we don't have that much room for another C&C cage) & Reese came home
with us that night.  We have a cat who is still very much a kitten & so we
cannot ever let our piggies out without locking our kitty in his "Room" (he
OWNS the entire basement).  We also have a 14 month old daughter...  Either
way, Reese was very young when we got him & Toffee actually kind of
'mothered' him.  Interestingly enough neither of them seems to be the alpha
pig.  Reese learns from Toffee & Toffee deals with Reese's playful piglet
antics.  They really love eachother, but when it's time for one to get a
bath or nail trimming or cuddle time, they enjoy their time alone.  As far
as leaving them alone over night... I do feel bad.  Sometimes we take them
to my parent's house with us (we watch their horses if they have to be out
of town).  Lately with my daughter & our cat & our fish... we leave the pigs
at home & they are fine.  I had been warned that it would be quite difficult
to introduce a young male to Toffee (who was solo for 18 months).  I really
can't say as far as what to do for such an alpha pig...  I just wanted to
share my experience with this.  Also, when it was just Toffee, we usually
took him with us even over night one night, especially at the apartment
because we were afraid he would cry a lot & we would get caught having him.
Good luck & hopefully there can be a solution of some sort for you!

Finally- Toffee is now 2 years old!  Though we aren't sure of his exact
birthdate, we have already begun to celebrate!  His official anniversary
with us is December 16.  I bought the boys some new treats & a Link-N-Lodge
over the weekend.  I have also purchased a bunk bed from somebody on Ebay
(search for ferret/rat/guinea pig bunk bed OR luvmybirdz for the seller)
I'm hoping the boys will like it.  I would like to add on to their C&C cage,
but right now money is tight for the holidays.
Either way, things are going great for us & our piggies are feeling great.
Sometimes I am concerned about Toffee because he seems lethargic.  But then
2 minutes later he is up and bounding around with Reese.  I think Reese
wears him out sometimes. Hopefully with the bunk bed Toffee can get some
rest while Reese plays.  Also, I'm sure it will help when I add the bed loft
to the cage.

I hope everyone is well & all pigs are feeling great!  I enjoy reading about
everyone's silly pigs & please know that my condolences go out every time I
hear of a pig making the trip to the Bridge.  I'm sorry this is so long!!
Please, also know that I share your tears when our friends leave us.

Anna, Toffee & Reese

Eric, Katarina, Sully & the fish

Peter Piggy picked a peck of pickled piggy poo.

Tired of slow downloads and busy signals?  Get a high-speed Internet
connection! Comparison-shop your local high-speed providers here.
https://broadband.msn.com