[Gpdd] [Misc] Pet Store Pig, Bloat & New Piggy

Snowdreamer117 at aol.com Snowdreamer117 at aol.com
Mon Dec 8 09:58:19 EST 2003

To the person who suggested getting a pet store piggy because then at least one piggy from a pet store will know a loving home - I see your point but disagree with it.  Pet stores work on supply and demand. If you buy a guinea pig, that shows demand, which leads to supply.  For every guinea pig you buy, they just get another one to replace it.

If everyone STOPS buying guinea pigs from the stores, then there is no demand and they will stop selling animals as they won't be able to move them out and make money on them.

So many of those pigs are sick and/or pregnant when people buy them. It's such a shame.  They don't care.  Why spend $100 on a vet bill for a pig that costs $15 and can easily be replaced if it dies?

There are so many rescues and shelters out there - it's so much better to give a homeless piggy a good home.  A lot of those piggies will be euthanized because shelters can only hold them for so long.

I wish everyone would just stop buying from pet stores.

To the person who wrote that her piggy's sides look like she's pregnant and she can feel things moving - that's gas.  My piggy just went through the same thing.  I gave her infant's anti-gas from the drug store and that helped a lot.  Your piggy should still be taken to the vet to find the cause of it.  It could be a very serious problem.

To the person who got a new piggy and was questioning on what bedding to use and about the apples - go the following website. It has the answers to all your questions and more. It's a great site for information!

http://www.guinealynx.info