[Gpdd] HEALTH...a yummy treat...and a trick to medicating!

Michelle Melaragno doc141melaragno at adelphia.net
Mon Dec 8 21:54:41 EST 2003

Hello,  I've been thinking in response to several posts regarding sick
GP's and syringe feeding.  Though the Critical Care sounds like it's
pretty tasty to them, there are some oral meds that are nasty!  I've
been lucky enough in my rescue work to have fairly agreeable patients if
they have needed antibiotics, but I have also heard horror stories!  I
always sift out the "dust" from the Mazuri GP pellets (this must surely
make me an official slave!)  It has been a minimal amount, but I really
hate to waste anything.  Tonight, I mixed some of those fine crumbs with
a tiny bit of powdered Tang (I'd been advised to use Tang as a Vit. C
supplement!) and warm water.  Once the pellet crumbs swelled, I added a
bit more water to make it gruel consistency, sucked it up into a 1cc
syringe, and offered it to a couple of my healthy piggies.  After their
initial inspection, they both tried to grab the syringe and tugged hard
to claim it!  I would like to figure out the right mixture to make it
into a nice treat (and maybe even an emergency formula!) they can learn
to take from the syringe.  Even just a small taste once a week could
"train" them for any future oral meds needs...ease things for us mamas
and papas, and significantly reduce stress build up in an already sick
pig!  Does anyone see any issues with this or has anyone already tried
it...what kind of results?

Cheers,
Michelle and the Critter Crew