[Gpdd] Health: hantavirus

Chizeck, Susan P chizeck at utdallas.edu
Tue Dec 9 15:24:13 EST 2003

Hantavirus is found in rural New Mexico and Texas in the rodent population.  It rarely spreads to people unless they are exposed to lots of mouse droppings, etc.  Some cases occurred when people were cleaning up an old house full of droppings.  I don't know if guinea pigs can harbor it, but I really wouldn't worry about it unless your pigs were running wild in a rural area near a lot of mice in New Mexico.  If there is a drought and mice come close to houses there, sometimes there is a case.

Susan P. Chizeck, Ph.D.