[Gpdd] Health--Hanta Virus

Leila Baldridge keegsmom at cablelynx.com
Wed Dec 10 12:56:33 EST 2003

In response to the question about whether guinea pigs carry hanta virus--I looked up some info on the web specifically looking for links of piggies to the virus.  The info I found said that the deer mouse ( a kind of field mouse) is the carrier of hanta virus in the U.S. and that although it is probably biologically possible for a piggie to get hanta virus, there are no known cases and the piggie would have to come in contact with wild rodents for it to happen. Also the virus itself is rare in the US and although isolated cases have been found east of the Missisippi River, most cases have been in the Southwest. So anyway, from what I read, I don't have any worries of my piggies being carriers of anything but love and wheeks !