[Gpdd] [Health] I'm at my wits end

Julia Porter tabithaporter at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 12 09:05:41 EST 2003

Hello!

Firstly, a big thank you to Joseph on his kind words at Delilah's passing - it was a lovely message.

I need some advice, I've had piggies for 6 years now and they have all been indoor piggies.  My original 4 girls lived in 2 separate hutches - with 2 pigs in each - and they were rarely ill.  Sadly they have all now crossed the bridge.  I have since got new piggies - 5 in total, 4 girls and a neutered boy, and they all live in a C&C cage.  In the past 3 weeks, the following has happened:

-Delilah developed severe lip sores and it took over 2 and a half months to heal.

- Iolanthe started bleeding from her vagina and while we thought she thought she might have to have a hysterectomy, the CCT advised us about hormone injections and we are proceeding with this.  She also has to have Baytril twice a day.

- Delilah stopped eating and those of you who read the GPDD regularly will know that we had a weekend of hell, which sadly ended up in her crossing the Rainbow Bridge.

- Last Friday, I found a lump on Cordelia's bottom lip - which by Saturday morning had doubled in size and was weeping.  This meant an emergency trip to the vet, followed by her having an operation on Monday morning to cut it out - she came through this with flying colours.

-Yesterday, took Cordelia back for a check up and she was fine. But I noticed that she didn't eat her tea.  This morning, I realised that she had extremely bloody and liquid diarrohea and had another emergency trip to the vet - she is still there, so please keep your fingers crossed for her.

As I am sure you can imagine, this is really beginning to get me down - apart from being very expensive, it is emotionally draining - I have been to the vet over 12 times in the past 2 weeks.  Does anyone have any idea why I should be having so many problems when I had virtually 0 with my first 4 piggies?  Is it because they all live together?  Could it be their diet (they get a mixture of lettuce, cos lettuce, cucumber, melon, spring greens, cabbage, sweetcorn, carrot, coriander and parsley twice a day every day)?  Please help, I'm really at my wits end.

Thanks

Julia, Belinda, Iolanthe, Cordelia and Timothy