[Gpdd] Health [Gallant, uterine bleeding, update]

seth at horusandseth.com seth at horusandseth.com
Fri Dec 12 15:20:49 EST 2003

I just took Gallant to Angell Memorial in Boston to see Dr. Orcutt.
(They have 3 exotics people on staff.)  I was favorably impressed with
the hospital.  Quite elaborate in services, design, etc.  (see
www.angell.org)  I took Gallant back because the uterine bleeding had
returned.  Actually, it returned on Wednesday night.  Thursday, I called
the regular vet.  She was in surgery and she recommended Angell for the
spay.  Other vets were closer, but would not see Gallant until Monday.
When I got to Angell, they prepped Gallant for surgery right away.  They
took my number and promised to call back.  I have no message on my answering
machine, so I hope she is not dead.  Unfortunately, this was not cheap.
The estimate they gave me ran between $850 and $1900.  God willing, this
is a bit high.  (Under $1200?)  On the upside, they did offer to pro-rate
the bill into monthly payments at 0% interest.  Given that I am cash-rich
and employment-poor, I did not opt for this, but I am glad that the option
exists.  They said I may get my pig back on Sunday.  Possibly earlier.
This is good because I have to go to Italy soon.  I know I will feel guilty
leaving my piggy so soon after the operation, but it cannot be helped.  Please
do not heap guilt on me about this.

Micah Ross