[Gpdd] HEALTH - using a scale

Louise August laugust at umich.edu
Sat Dec 13 11:38:24 EST 2003

About weighing piggies... I've used a digital scale to weigh lots of small
folks (cockatiels, rats, GPs). Some of them will stand nicely on the scale
while others seem to think this is some bizarre form of torture and will
have nothing to do with it. For them, I've found that putting them in a box
or a cozy first and then onto the scale works beautifully - they don't even
know they're being weighed (ha!) . Then I weigh just the box/cozy and
subtract from the combined weight to get the true weight of the piggie.

Louise August

University of Michigan
Research Associate, Center for the Education of Women