[Gpdd] HEALTH bladderstones and cucumbers, diabetes

Bellarobi at aol.com Bellarobi at aol.com
Mon Dec 15 13:53:28 EST 2003

Hi everybody,
I received an answer from my german guinea pig advisors regarding how
cucumbers contribute to bladderstones in guinea pigs. They say that cucumbers have
high contents of nitrate. When feeding them over a long period of time, the
nitrate stores in the guinea pig's body, likely causing bladderstones.
I have not had a personal experience with bladderstones in my guinea pigs,
however, reading that they can get diabetes ( I am diabetic) made me think about
sugar contents in fruits and veggies. Both love carrots and romaine lettuce.
I feed them appr 4-8 babycarrots a day and hope that that is not too much.
Both drink a lot of water.
My question is how have people found out about their piggies being diabetic
and what do you do about it?

best wishes,
Marion