[Gpdd] re: [HEALTH] Diabetes in GPs

Patricia Simon patriciasimon at shaw.ca
Wed Dec 17 00:48:53 EST 2003

Hi Marion (and everybody),

We have 2 diabetic piggies, Hazel and Ginger, diagnosed in March 2000. We
used an oral hypoglycemic medicine (glyburide) to control their glucose
levels.  After a time (4 mo for Hazel, 18-20 mo for Ginger), both piggies
went into "remission" from their diabetes and we could control their glucose
levels with diet only.  Diet restrictions remain in force to this day.  For
our piggies, these restrictions include the following:
- feed lots of hay and some mixed greens and other veggies
- absolutely no high-fat foods (seeds, corn, etc)
- absolutely no sugar-added treats
- occasional, small treats of fruit are allowed
(Not all vets permit fruit or "sweet" veggies like carrots.  Opinion seems
to be divided 50-50 on this.  For our girls, the occasional thin slice of
apple didn't cause any problems so our vet said we could give them small
amounts of fruit as treats.)

You can read more about our experience with diabetes in our GPs on my
website:
http://members.shaw.ca/patriciasimon/
Ginger passed over the rainbow bridge last month, but Hazel's still alive
and causing mischief whenever and wherever she can.

Regards,
Patricia