[Gpdd] HEALTH: Runty pig and mange

Emma Silvester missus at emma-silvester.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Dec 17 04:07:13 EST 2003

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on my Wilma pig. When I bought
her the Pet shop said that she was ten weeks old - to me (and I've had a
LOT of piggies!) she looked more like 5 or 6 weeks old. She soon showed
symptoms of mange which she must have arrived with (loads of scabby
skin, biting herself etc) and so I had to take all seven of my babies to
the vet for anti mange injections. Anyway, I mentioned her small size to
my vet who said that he thought she probably had been so concerned with
the mange that she hadn't dedicated herself fully to eating. However
that was a while ago and she is still small. I have two other pigs about
the same age and they are thriving well. I have watched her for hours
and she gets along fine with her cage mates, she appears to be eating
well, she's happy enough. She's just very small! I wondered if anyone
else had had the same problem at all? She's about five months old and is
approximately the size of a 2 month old.

Also I would like to send condolences to all those who have lost piggies
recently, I too believe that they are all waiting for us in a better
place and that we will meet again one day. You only have to see how
different piggies can be who've been treated the same every day of their
lives to know that they have a little piggy soul that must live on.
However with the many pigs that have gone before me I really hope there
is a mucking out angel!!

Also to the person who wrote about mites. It sounds like mange to me.
Mine needed two injections two weeks apart and the vet put antibiotic
cream on any open sores to stop them getting infected. It is very
contagious and sometimes when you think a pig has got away with it they
suddenly show the symptoms. I also believe that it can be passed on to
humans (though I'm not sure about this) The vet advised anti-bacterial
hand washing between pigs and before/after handling them. If one of my
pigs shows signs I tend to get them all vaccinated just in case. I think
they can sometimes pick it up from mites in their hay even if (like
mine) your hay is from a very good source.

If any one can help me with Wilma I would be very grateful.

Emma

Mum to Maud, Myrtle, Basil, Fred, Ginger, Wilma and Mij. Remembering
Honky, Jingles, Badger and Pootle.