[Gpdd] RE: (HEALTH)-toenail trimming

Lauren Cordeiro lauren_cordeiro at student.uml.edu
Wed Dec 17 19:54:20 EST 2003

I cut my GPs' nails when they get too long. If I don't, they get caught more easily on things and once or twice have broken, probably somewhat painfully. I'm sure having broken or long toenails makes it difficult or painful to walk. Usually it's their hind feet that need clipping. However, if you've never done anything like this before, you might want to get someone who knows how to do it to show you. It is pretty easy (if you can get them to sit still), but you have to avoid the skin and nerves that are very close to the nail. Note!!!!: please buy a couple of dollars worth of the powder (quickstop, or another brand) which you dip the GP's paw in if you accidently cause them to bleed. My friend who grooms animals says that dogs, cats, and small animals have a hard time clotting in this area, and could lead to serious trouble. This is also a must for any bird owner who clips wings. It's available at any groomer's or pet store.
P.S. Rocks or bricks placed in GP's cages will also wear down their claws, and reduce the number of times their nails need clipping.
Good luck!
Lauren, Piglet, Pooh Bear

E2-O: This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by UML's antivirus scanning services.