[Gpdd] [BEHAVIOR] Re-introduction

Bkwrm132 at cs.com Bkwrm132 at cs.com
Sat Dec 20 13:09:14 EST 2003

Hello all.  I have been reading the digest for over a year now, but don't
usually post very often.   I have a question I was hoping you could assist with.

Last July I was having a mid-life crisis (Dad in remission from cancer, Mom
just had a stroke and because I'm the youngest of my siblings, I'm the major
helper where they're concerned)  I found a beautiful female in my local feed
store.  She's a broken-color with some Abyssinian in her background.  Her
markings are white/brown with a black mask across her face, hence the name Zorro.
Zorrina is her fancy name.  When I held her, she stole my heart.  But I noticed
her cage partner frantically searching/calling for her and she called back
just as frantically.  I also held her cage partner and was told they were
5-week-old sisters.  I stayed with them for a while and watched.  They really enjoyed
being together more than other piggies I've seen.

We already had a menagerie at home (1 dog, 2 cats and 2 cavies) so I'm sure
my honey thought I was crazy when I asked for them, but he likes to make me
happy.  They were definitely bonded and I didn't have the heart to separate them
so I bought both.  The sister had more rosettes than Zorro and her hair spiked
up wildly so I figured she might turn out to be a longhair and named her
Bedhead.  She had a case of bed-hair!

A few weeks passed and I was reading the digest and looking at a site someone
had suggested that showed these great "sexing" pictures.  Zorro had a "Y",
Bedhead didn't!  Now I've only had piggies a little over a year, but I've done
my research and I checked them both before I bought them.  Bedhead had a "Y" at
the store.  His turkey-timer popped. I called one of the local digest helpers
and she was the best!  I took her advice and separated them immediately.
Their cages have been up against each other since and Bedhead was neutered last
month.  The vet says he can go back in with Zorro on New Year's Day.  (Happy
New Year Bedhead!)

By the way, I used Midwest Exotic Bird and Animal in Westchester, Illinois
and I love them!  ($216.00 for the surgery, care and one night stay prior to
surgery)

I'm concerned about how to reintroduce them.  Even though both piggies have
spent almost every moment on their bricks up against the bars to be closer
together, it has been 5-1/2 months since they've shared a cage for any length of
time.  They were allowed run time together, but were watched every second and
immediately separated if Bedhead tried to get up behind Zorro.

I don't think I should just dump him into her cage and leave them to their
own devices.  Are females territorial?  I think she's as desperate to be with
him as she's the more timid of the two.  Any suggestions?

Pam Hartzell