[Gpdd] [BEHAVIOR] Bonding help needed

DFHAKES at aol.com DFHAKES at aol.com
Mon Dec 22 20:25:34 EST 2003

We recently lost our dear Beethoven, who was tightly bonded to Buddy, a 5+
year old neutered, nearly blind male.  We adopted an unspayed 3 year old girl in
hopes that both would be friends.  We have tried gradual introductions by
first putting cages together, then playtime together, and even staying together
for as long as 24 hours.  Unfortunately, things deterioriate and Buddy chitters
at her and chases her and guards the food bowl and she gets mad and lunges at
him.  It doesn't help that he jumps because he can barely see and gets
spooked easily.  Tonight was hard because they stayed together just a few minutes
and then annoyed each other.  However, when I separated them they wheeked for
each other and chewed at their cage bars as if their hearts were breaking.  They
are now settling down.  Is there any hope for this couple?

Dana F. Hakes