[Gpdd] HEALTH: mites and lice

Michelle Melaragno doc141melaragno at adelphia.net
Mon Dec 22 22:22:58 EST 2003

Pages,
	Regarding your post about mites and lice seen by your vet...the
Ivomec will take care of the mites; I use an oral med once a week
treatment for 4 weeks.  I always see an improvement even after just the
first dose.  From what I understand, Ivomec will NOT take care of the
lice.  Advantage is a dog/cat topical solution used for fleas that can
be safely used on GP's to get rid of lice.  I have had great success
with it...particularly on a severely lice infested GP that I rescued
from being euthanized at the local humane society.  I think he was quite
anemic from the infestation!  Another rescued boar was almost bald on
his back with lots of flaky skin when he came to me...mites were his
biggest issue.  His re-grown hair is almost 2 inches long now (it's been
2 months) and he has no bald spots!  If you are interested in more info,
let me know, and I'll find the dosage and website to send along to you!
With all my rescues, as a matter of course, I treat them with both of
these meds (on different dosing days!)

Good luck!
Michelle