[Gpdd] Re: (Health) HAY

Brad Ellis ellis_chiphi at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 29 10:28:15 EST 2003

Shelly,

I wanted to throw my two cents in about your veterinarian's opinion about hay and whether or not to give it to guinea pigs.  I thought that this was one of the questions that there was a resounding answer to, but it seems like that is not the case.  In my experience and in anything I've ever read or seen hay is the main staple to a guinea pigs diet.   Think about guinea pig pellets which are just glorified hay that has been compacted and baked.  I won't say that you are not feeding your guinea pig(s) right (how would I know) but I would say that your veterinarian was mistaken.  After all,  the only food that a guinea pig gets in the wild is the same roughage that your veterinarian says is not good for them.  As far as my pigs go they'll be fickle about whether they eat all of their veggies on any given day but eating their hay is never a question.  I hope that this helps out.

Brad,

Friend to Silent Bob, Muse, and Oreo

Remembering Frederick and Lady Jay