[Gpdd] ANNOUNCEMENT: Snowy's Surprise

Susan Eastin susan at boatlift.com
Mon Dec 29 16:39:39 EST 2003

With mixed emotions, we announce a change in the population of the Okie
Piggies!
With all her fluff and 'pleasant plumpness', Snowy managed to conceal a
secret until
nearly the last minute (and by then, I wasn't where I could get online for
help!).
Saturday morning Snowy suddenly produced two beautiful, perfect little
babies.
The first one, a little girl we named Primoz, was stillborn.  Apparently
suffocated from
the birth taking so long (any thoughts on this?).  She was buried yesterday
in a small
family ceremony, under some trees, by a pond in a field of clover.  This was
followed by
a "gallop by" of small ponies and sheep (no planes were available).  We know
she is
frolicking in fragrant clover at the bridge.
The second baby, a bright-eyed boy we named Lil' Whistle (for the hero in
the book we've
been reading for wheeks).  He is a mixture of reddish and dark brown, with a
dark brown cap
and white strip, making him look like a chipmunk!  Snowy never produced any
milk, so he
is nibbling hay and an occasional blade of grass (it goes in just as fast as
his dad's!).  On the
advice of 3 vets, today I started giving him a bit of milk replacer (KMR for
kittens).  Again,
any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.  Snowy licks the daylights
out of him and
watches over him most of the time, but sometimes gets him settled and sneaks
off for some
private time.  CocoPuff has been restricted to quarters in the upstairs of
their home, but likes
to sit on the landing nearest his family and watch.  That first day he just
got put on the floor for
his playtime, and ran up and down wheeking for his Snowy.  It was so sad -
he wouldn't eat, and
was actually climbing boxes and the cube panels to try to get to her!  He
spent that first night
alone in the 'basement' (their original cage sitting under the table their
new home is on), a
very sad and lonely little guy.  He's very interested in LW, but Snowy
clearly comes first with
him.  They've been allowed a very brief floor time together, very
supervised, which seems to
have helped him a bit, and allowed her some exercise.  Now we will have to
stock up on SlimFast
for Snowy, and begin shopping for a piggie treadmill!
Please add Lil' Whistle to the GPDD roster (hoping to continue the Great Poo
Trail!), and enter
our little Primoz for the contingent at the Rainbow Bridge.
Susi and the Okie Piggies
  ~Snowy, CocoPuff and Lil' Whistle,  Remembering Primoz at the Bridge