[Gpdd] Health: teeth

Cuttlefish Arts cuttlefisharts at comcast.net
Wed Dec 31 12:28:53 EST 2003

>Valerie wrote:

> I have a guinea pig that refuses to chew anthing for his teeth. I have tried
> all sorts of nibble toys, pieces of wood etc... I also have a problem with
> feeding, he refuses to eat anything but fresh fruits and vegs.
>
> Please help.

The best thing I've found for a picky guinea pig is to try to use timothy
hay as their "staple" food. (NOT alfalfa) Some gps don't seem to like
pellets very much. This will serve double duty as tooth trimming exercise,
too. A steady diet of just fruits and veggies sounds like it could be bad
for the pig in the long run.

I've never had a guinea pig trim its teeth on anything I provided for the
purpose -- it's always something they're not supposed to chew like their
house or something.