[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Beetroot leaves and ovarian cysts - signs of pain?

Rebecca Jones rj1571 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Nov 5 16:53:29 EST 2003

Hi All

I read a recent submission from Misti with lists of foods which cannot be fed to guinea pigs.  On the list I saw beetroot leaves listed as something they should not be fed.  Can anyone tell me why not, are they poisonous? I only ask becuase I have on very rare occasions fed them to my girls and have noticed no bad effects but wanted to check becuase obviously if its bad I will stop.

Also, I wrote to the list recently asking about ovarian cysts as the vet has said that my darling Gemma has them and this is why the hair has gone of her tummy.  She sent us home saying for me to keep an eye on her and if she shows signs of being in pain then to take her back and look at options.  Thing is, as we often hear on the list, guinea pigs are very good at hiding that they are in pain.  My girls are not particularly vocal and do not like being handled so I was wondering what sort of checks I should do to check she is OK as the thought of her suffering and me not knowing would break my heart.

I've also noticed recently that they both seem to be ripping up their newspaper floor, folding it back and lying directly on the hutch floor, do you think Gemma might be finding the hay rough on her tummy as she hasn't any hair there, should I maybe change to woodchip - would it be softer for her?

Thanks in advance.

Beki
Mom to Gemma and Daphne