[Gpdd] RE: Rebecca/ovarian cysts-signs of pain

LJ GOMBAR lj at theurnstudio.com
Thu Nov 6 12:44:02 EST 2003

Hi!
I have had Sugar (one of my two) for 5 years.  She is six years old.
About 3+years ago, she developed these lumps on her tummy and also has
gone through bouts of losing her fur and growing it back.  I took her to
the vet, and he said it was wiser to just leave her alone, and that she
would be much happier than having him dig around and getting them all
out... Since they had to do with her mammary glands, it would be too
extensive and risky.  Since she was sitting in a petstore on her own for
8+months of her life- waiting to be taken in and loved... She was not
happy with being picked up anyway, or touched.  I went through periods
of giving her space, and loving or cuddling her whether she wanted it or
not.  When my hand got kicked by one of her back legs, I would stop
petting her.  She has not done that in like 2 years.  It took her a long
time to like being petted.
She shows no signs of pain... Has had a UTI (over a year ago)during this
time and I successfully nursed her back to health.  She now has
digestive problems and can not handle any veggie/fruit at all without
getting really soft runny poos.  She eats oxbow hay and pellets at her
will- ie free feeds.  I do give her Critical care at times... And
experimented with sprinkling  a bit on a SMALL piece of lettuce leaf
that was wetted, and rolling it up like a burritio to see if it would
counteract the effect and leave her better off.  I am not sure that does
much good.
This tidbit might come in handy for someone with an ailing pig that does
not like to be syringe fed, but may have an appeteit for lettuce.
I also can not feed Piglet (her senior) many treats... As it seems when
I just feed him veggies... Her bowels turn for the worse, as I think she
sneaks his cecals and gets the worse end for it.
She also has had the habit of sitting in the same spot, so much so, that
she will sit in her own poo and pee, making her rump sore.  I have
written before that the only thing that has hepled us is for them to be
on towels as bedding.  I clean them every day, giving them fresh towels,
and wash them when I have a washer load full.  I have 4 sets of 2
towels, so every 3 days I am doing piggy laundry.
Now, as her poos are more matted and wet and clumpy lump together, I put
washcloths in her favorite spot and change them during the day as
needed.  Fleece squares work well too.
They have both lived a long comfortable life with me and together.  I
will be so sad to see them go when they do.  It is never easy.
LJ

"Also, I wrote to the list recently asking about ovarian cysts as the
vet has said that my darling Gemma has them and this is why the hair has
gone of her tummy.  She sent us home saying for me to keep an eye on her
and if she shows signs of being in pain then to take her back and look
at options.  Thing is, as we often hear on the list, guinea pigs are
very good at hiding that they are in pain.  My girls are not
particularly vocal and do not like being handled so I was wondering what
sort of checks I should do to check she is OK as the thought of her
suffering and me not knowing would break my heart.

I've also noticed recently that they both seem to be ripping up their
newspaper floor, folding it back and lying directly on the hutch floor,
do you think Gemma might be finding the hay rough on her tummy as she
hasn't any hair there, should I maybe change to woodchip - would it be
softer for her?"