[Gpdd] HEALTH: Patches Bleeding

DebraStory at aol.com DebraStory at aol.com
Sat Nov 8 13:17:47 EST 2003

Hello to All Pigs and Slaves:  My darling Patches has started getting some
blood in his urine again lately.  He is on Baytril and Bene-Bac again.  I have
read that cranberry juice helps piggies with stones.  However, I wasn't sure
how much to give him or for how long.  Has anyone else had experience with
giving cranberry juice to piggies with UTIs or stones?  The vet thought that
Patches was probably not young enough and not in good enough physical condition to
chance surgery at this time.  He also thought that the stones would probably
keep coming back even if he did survive the surgery.  I have eliminated spinach
from his diet and have been giving him Romaine lettuce and escarole only.  Is
there any other better green food that doesn't encourage stone growth?  I have
also heard that barley water is sometimes effective.  Has anyone tried this
method, and if so, how long do you give it to the cavy and how much?  I would
deeply appreciate any advice on this matter.  I love Patches very much and do
not wish to lose him, but I am running out of ideas of how to help him.  He
doesn't usually respond too well to antibiotics and it will be impossible to keep
giving them to him for a very extended period of time.  Any advice on
alternative treatments would be very much appreciated.

I also wish to extend my deepest condolences to all who have lost their dear
piggies lately.  I grieve with all of you and know how very hard it is to lose
a beloved little cavy that has become a part of your family and your heart.

Sincerely,  Debra (Patches mommie)