[Gpdd] [MISC] Problems with Petsmart

DebJonSara at aol.com DebJonSara at aol.com
Tue Nov 11 07:19:24 EST 2003

Libby

I'm writing this with tears streaming down my face, and I'm sure you'll have
had a lot more piggy slaves in tears reading that terribly sad account of the
dead and poorly piggies at Petsmart. It seems so ironic that in the same
digest there are tales of beloved piggies that have everything and others who die
almost unnoticed and unloved. Surely there must be something you can do in
terms of petitions/boycotting/ reporting to animal welfare and so on. Here in
rural France I am used to having to observe cruelty to animals, but in America -
well, I just would expect better.

I hope there is some way you can get the store prosecuted. But can I also
point out - someone had taken those little babies there and abandonned them at
the store to be sold. I would never, ever allow one of my piggies to have babies
unless I intended to keep them all. I do think piggie slaves have to take
some responsibility here. Baby guinea pigs are some of the most precious,
wonderful little creatures one could ever wish to meet, and it's understandable that
slaves would wish to breed their own. But I do strongly feel we should all
resist the temptation to do just that unless we intend to keep the offspring or
know some kind, responsible slaves that will take them in and give them the
loving, caring homes they deserve. Taking unwanted babies to places like Petsmart
is not a responsible action - even if they are not ill. The very idea that
someone left unwell babies there ... well, it doesn't bear thinking about. I am
still haunted by the thought of poor little Lilac about whom George's dad told
us not so long ago. I was too upset by that thread to respond to it - I must
admit, had I seen that little mite, I would have bought it and taken it to the
vet straight away, just as you intended to do with those you found, Libby.
That's more or less how I ended up with 45 guinea pigs earlier this year.

I know we can't change this cruel world. But each of us should do what we
can. We don't have Petsmart here in France, but if we did, I would write to them
and quote your story and tell them I was going to boycott their stores. But I
would also keep an eye on the guinea pig display at your local store, and if I
saw a sick piggie there again I'd get it to a vet and make sure the vet's
diagnosis was reported to your local animal welfare organisation. It would be
good if it could get into the papers.

I realise animal shelters in the US and Britain are full of unwanted guinea
pigs. They don't even have such shelters here. As regular members may remember,
I know of a local breeder who sells her excess stock to be fed to crocodiles.
I tried to buy her out but she wouldn't agree to it, and there's nothing
illegal in what she's doing, although it does make me weep. some things we can't
change. But I would hope the US was streets ahead of France in terms of animal
welfare - there has got to be something you can do.

The one thing all we "gpdd-ers" can do is resolve, right here and now (if we
haven't already, and I know I'm mainly preaching to the converted here) is
NEVER to breed a single guinea pig for whom a loving, caring home has not been
earmarked before conception - and to persuade as many non-gpdd-ers as we can to
resolve likewise. Let's make sure no one who reads this ever abandons a guinea
pig to Goodness knows what fate at a pet store.

Sorry to rant - sometimes it's too hard just to read on.

Condolences to all who have lost piggies - your stories always make me cry,
but at least your piggies were loved. The deaths of those who never had the
opportunity to experience such love seem somehow much more tragic.

Debbie (and her 13 "Dolly Mixtures")