[Gpdd] HEALTH..For Wendy..re 5 yr old with lump

Carol S guineapiglover at optonline.net
Tue Nov 11 07:39:05 EST 2003

Dear Wendy,

I was once in your shoes...I had a guinea pig, Oreo, who at age 4.5 went to
the vet because he was crying when he peed. The x-ray taken by the vet
showed a big mass in his abdomen and just like the news you got, I was told
it was pushing the other organs and there was no way to know what it was
without doing surgery. I was shocked since he had been eating and acting
normal in all regards except for the pain on urination. Since Oreo HAD to
have surgery to remove a bladder stone I agreed to let the vet have a look
at the lump.

So, here's what happened. When I went to pick him up that evening I was
horrified to see that he had been cut open from the bottom of his neck all
the way down to his genital area. He had huge staples holding him together
and he was completely out of it. The vet advised me that if he wasn't eating
and drinking in the morning that I should return him.  Well, needless to say
he didn't move one bit the entire time!  He must have been suffering and in
so much pain he couldn't even communicate that to me.  I returned him to the
vet first thing in the morning and I was summoned back to the office at 4:00
that afternoon. He was gone before I walked in the door. I didn't even get
to say goodbye and be there with him at the end.

Carol and the girls (Sophie, Elsie and Angel...Angel, wife of George the
GP!)