[Gpdd] behavior - introductions

Linda Sánchez veronica.ann at verizon.net
Tue Nov 11 12:14:57 EST 2003

Hi to all Pigs and People,

I have a question about introducing pigs to one another. I had posted awhile
back that I have two pigs, Ivy and Penny, and that I had taken in a pregnant
foster pig, Sasha from the animal shelter. About one month after I first got
Sasha and before her babies arrived, I introduced her to Penny and Ivy. I
was dismayed to see her act standoffish and cool to Ivy and very aggressive
to Penny. I separated them as soon as I hear them start to sharpen their
teeth. I decided to introduce them again after the birth of Sasha's babies,
in the hope that she would be less territorial. Sasha's babies arrived two
weeks ago. Sasha is a great mom, and of course I have COMPLETELY fallen in
love with her and although she is a foster pig from the shelter, I want to
keep her forever. I have Penny and Ivy in a very large structure that
requires a lot of upkeep daily, so it is important that the can all live
together, since I doubt I can handle two cages. Today I introduced Sasha's
babies to Ivy and Penny in a neutral space. Everyone got along well, there
was much good-natured sniffing and wheeking. Things went so well that I
decided to try again with intoducing Sasha to Penny and Ivy. I took the
babies out of the neutral space and put Ivy and Penny in with Sasha. Well,
it was the same as when Sasha was pregnant. Sasha was very agressive with
Penny, and Penny was ready to fight as well. I was so sad. I am hoping that
someone out there has some great ideas about how to introduce pigs to one
another that might help eliminate the aggression and fear. Thanks to all!
Peace,
Linda