[Gpdd] HEALTH: Cysts

Sandra Park sppark at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Nov 11 18:03:33 EST 2003

Jane in Virginia Beach wrote:  "I would be happy to hear from anyone who's
piggy had ovarian cysts and what course of treatment you choose.  My girl,
Sugar is 3 and 1/3 and  has lost hair on both flanks. The vet suspects cysts
although they didn't show up on the x-ray.  He recommends a  hysterectomy.
I would like to hear from anyone with pros and cons regarding hysterectomies
in sows."

I have had two sows who needed hysterectomies due to ovarian cysts.  The
first was 4 1/2 years old when she was diagnosed and was not a good
candidate for surgery.  We decided to make her remaining time as enjoyable
as it could be; six months later, she had to be euthanized as she had
stopped eating, drinking and was in a great deal of pain.  We never tried
HCG (hormone) injections as I could not find a vet who was familiar with
that treatment.  If I could do things differently (now that I have a good
exotics vet), I would certainly give this treatment option a try.  Doing
nothing gave us so little quality time together.

My second sow was two years old when diagnosed with ovarian cysts; her
overall health was good so she was given a hysterectomy.  She has recovered
completely and is in excellent health.  After surgery, she was given a
longlasting pain medication (I have no idea what it was called) which was
insufficient.  I took her back a few days later and she was given more pain
medication (injection) which seemed to help a lot and ease her recovery.

A sow in good health, operated on by a good exotics vet with successful
experience w/ hysterectomies, can recover & have a good life ahead of her.
I recommend that you discuss what pain medications she will receive and if
any can be given at home if needed (such as Rimadyl).  Don't hesitate to
email me privately or on this list if you would like to discuss this
further.

Sandra Park and the Tampa Krewe (Taffy, Tiger and Winter, & always
remembering Crystal and Autumn)