[Gpdd] MISC: From a girl that works at Petco

Katy O'Connor chicky14510 at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 12 15:51:33 EST 2003

I read everyone's responses to pet shop horror and thought I'd add in a
point of view from somebody who works at one. I work at Petco.  Now dont
think right away I'm defending the company against everyones complaints.
What I have to say is this: I can only speak for my individual store, but i
can also tell you of the companies policies that may ease you all a little
bit.

My store is very very good with animal care. This however is only because of
the associates. Unfortunalty my mangers care more about clearing out the
stock room then cleaning cages. (Us associates have had a few mangers fired
for this - the higher-uppers in the company are extremly conscious of animal
care and place it in the highest importance.) At Petco, associates arrive 2
hours befpre the store opens and stay an hour after it closes. This is so we
can feed the animals, change bedding, etc. We takes classes on each
individual animals and learn how to take care of it. If you notice that an
animal is not being taken care of it is out of sheer laziness and not due to
lack of knowldge. Next time your in a Petco store, listen to the music on
the spear system - every hour on the house you'll hear a bird chirp. This is
the que for assicoaites to check each and every cage. make sure they have
food, water (dead fish, injured animals). In many store this is not done,
and I know it. I report them when i know it is not being done.

I'll tell you one quick story - at a store in my district a hamster had an
infection in his leg-  the company paid 300 dollars to get the infection out
and then a month later when the infection came back another 300 to amputate
the leg. This was all for a 2 dollar hamster.

I ave to make this short but if anyone has any questions or needs inside
info let me know, i'll get back to you!

Katy and her crew