[Gpdd] MISC - Crimes Against Guinea Pigs and other small animals; PetSmart, etc

Algernon07 at aol.com Algernon07 at aol.com
Wed Nov 12 18:55:17 EST 2003

Dear Libby and All,
> <<< Is there anything I can do?  My sister told me that I should have
> gotten the
> name of the vet and the name of the manager of the store as well.  I'm much
> too much of a weenie to do something like that, especially after just about
> bawling in the middle of the store. >>>

      Weenie, schmeenie; you aren't! You're a sentitive, caring person --
Have mgr. write down the names (their vet, mrg. owner if applicable) even as
you're crying and shaking. Certainly your genuine sentiments will draw some
attention and make people question (some people anyway) the policies that would
beget such a reaction from a customer.
      I need to learn more about libel, (we all should) but I wish we'd all
carry small cameras (that do good close ups) and document and photograph these
things when we see them as well as the store names, etc. Document, document,
document!!! Names, places, conditions and photos of animals. Of mrgs and
employees. Keep comments accurate. Fight with facts, not emotion, but we might as
well recognize that it's emotion that moves us into the fight in the first
place.
       Also find out about animal neglect and cruelty laws -- are they
limited only to cats, dogs and horses as it seems on the Animal Planet "police"
programs?
       George's dad, Joe, on the other hand, managed to have store employees
looking after the dying little Lilac without resorting to any negative means.
I think George's love and authentic concern just transfers itself somehow.
       So I started out like the answer man here, only to realize that I
don't have  enough answers, or maybe not any. But jointly we have to have more
than ideas and answers than we do individually.
       I'd missed this particular gpdd by the way, but after reading
references to it went back looking for it.
       Debbie in France made a very good point -- essentially, that each
piggy born should have a home before its conception. And here is an area where we,
as owners, do have some control -- tho not over other people who think its
great to have baby pets born, but maybe we can help educate some of those folks.
But even some of "us" like the idea of little piggies and we need to be  be
fully responsible for that decision. My personal solutions is that I have only
boars. I didn't have a particular gender preference (hey, I didn't even WANT
or go seeking a guinea pig but here I am), but Wilson, my first, was a little
boy so the "3 jolly rodents" are all guys.
      We need to take this "voluntary population control" point very
seriously.

       Also, as regards Holly -- strangely, I had an old gpdd saved and there
was Holly at the beginning of something being amiss.  I cried even more, for
her, for her slave and for all the other piggies and slaves and their
suffering and heartache. For the piggie with the horrendous incision. And all who have
lost their precious little ones. The gaiety of the coming event is in such
stark contrast to pain, suffering and loss. These little guys have held such
spots in people's hearts.

      I also want to thank those people who wrote to me wishing me well with
the upcoming lung transplant evaluation. I appreciated each note so much tho I
haven't individually responded. Strangely, my evaluation begins on Nov. 17th.
At least my guys will be off having fun. Somehow the timing of the date
sounds "auspicious," don't you think?
       Of course maybe I should be careful of what I say at the transplant
center -- further along ARE the psych tests. I probably shouldn't start into
this evaluation process talking about "this being the day of celebrating the
laying of the last Golden Poo at the furthemost western point of the continental
U.S." I probably shouldn't mention Pam's wonderful PigAir Charter air service
either, huh? Or Mr. Cooder's interest in the flirtatious Miss Cally who wants
to do a kissing booth.
       You're all great people and very special thanks to Rod and Carlos.

Agle