[Gpdd] [MISC] Re: Problems with Pet Stores

DebJonSara at aol.com DebJonSara at aol.com
Thu Nov 13 13:03:42 EST 2003

Hi Katy

Someone else who worked at Petsmart emailed me privately along the lines of
your posting. I feel I must copy my reply to her here - and to all the other
caring petstore employees I know are out there. Here it is:

I really would not wish to cause offence to any petlovers who work for
Petsmart, nor indeed any other pet store. In fact, I am grateful that you have
alerted me to this possibility - I am ashamed to admit it had never really occurred
to me that some petshop employees - indeed, the more I think about it,
probably most - DO love animals, and would do anything they could to prevent them
suffering. I would love to work in a petshop myself, as a way of trying to
infiltrate the inadequate care systems and try to do something to improve the
welfare of the animals unfortunate enough to end up in such places. I know such
jobs are not well paid, and therefore most employees would do it from love rather
than for mercenary reasons.

The young man described in the story does come across as insensitive, to say
the least, but to give him the benefit of the doubt, maybe he was
inexperienced and/or out of his depth. The fact that a sick piggie had been left
apparently several days without having received any veterinary care is more upsetting,
especially as it sounds from the story as though other piggies had gone on to
develop the same illness. I lost a very dear guinea pig top pneumonia in the
summer, so I know how quickly they can go downhill, but also how much they can
suffer. My vet didn't know enough to save Bâfreur, but at least he passed over
the Bridge knowing that he was very much wanted and loved, and he had had a
very comfortable and stimulating life. the poor dead piggie in the petshop had
missed out on all this.

I have read, on the gpdd and rabbit forums, that Petsmart do sometimes allow
animal shelters to have stalls in their stores at which people can adopted
rescued  animals, and this sounds to me an excellent idea. I am horrified by
reports that people sometimes dump unwanted animals on petshop doorsteps - I do
think people who allow their animals to reproduce without first ensuring they
will all be provided with loving, permanent homes must share the culpability
here - it is just not good enough to enjoy all the fun of watching a delightful
new litter then cheerfully dispose of them at the local petstore when the
novelty wears off.

So, all you petstore employees out there, please do not take personally any
of the comments I have made - I am so glad there are people out there like you
and your colleagues who are doing your best to ensure that unwanted animals
don't suffer. Can you think of any way that we gpdd-ers could act in order to
prevent this sort of tragedy happening again? Is there anyone in Petsmart
management who might be persuaded to cease the practice of selling live animals and
introduce a policy where every store had a permanent space offered on a rota
basis to local animal shelters, which could be manned by shelter volunteers and
offer rescued animals up for adoption? Your stores would still get the
revenue from sales of accessories like cages, food and treats, and I feel the good
publicity which would be generated by such a positive campaign would more than
make up for what little revenue might be lost through not selling live animals
any more.

Sorry to go on. I live in rural France, and believe me, animal welfare is
much, much worse here - shelters for small animals other than cats and dogs don't
even exist, neither do exotics vets! There are loads of baby rabbits and
guinea pigs for sale really cheaply at street markets from cardboard boxes with no
food or water - and I am sure they are just bought as disposable cuddly toys
for children, to be discarded and replaced when they become ill or present any
natural behaviours which are perceived as aggressive. It's a cruel, sad
world.

Love to all your little charges - may they all find loving homes

Debbie