[Gpdd] CARE - Vets

Liddlepaws at aol.com Liddlepaws at aol.com
Thu Nov 13 15:23:44 EST 2003

I have heard too many horror stories about bad vets and guinea pigs
suffering. If your pig needs an operation then ask them loads of questions and make
sure they know exactly what they are doing. If your vet is a good vet he/she
won't mind and will understand your concern.

One important thing to ask them is 'Can I take him home straight after the
operation?' if they say 'yes' then grab your piglet and run. They should tell
you no, they should tell you that you will have to wait until your piggy is
awake and eating. A vet who sends home a sleepy guinea who isn't fully recovered
from the anaesthetic is a vet who is trying to cut corners and save time,
he/she's more likely to make a mistake.

Ask if you will have to starve your guinea pig before the operation. If they
say yes, again, run away. You don't need to starve your pig, he can't throw
up, it is also important (I'm sure all pigs will back me here!) for guinea pig
to have food available all the time.

Please be careful with your pigs and vets, unfortunately they don't always
know what they are talking about. I have even seen vets on t.v (animal hospital)
who don't know what they are talking about!

Wheeks,

Joey & guinea pigs, etc.