[Gpdd] HEALTH: euthanasia

Cuttlefish Arts cuttlefisharts at comcast.net
Fri Nov 14 11:39:11 EST 2003

I am new to the new GPDD, but was on the old one for a long time.
About putting your piggie down: you usually know when it's time, if you can
bring yourself to be objective about it, and their daily lives.

To me, it's always been about the piggie's personality.

I have seen a sick little one really give up and just keep suffering, and I
knew that all I could do was to give him a quiet ending.

On the other hand, I had at least one fighter; she really wanted to live. I
had surgery on her, she bounced back, happy to be alive. I tried another
surgery when she became ill again, the cancer had spread, and it was not
possible to save her. We had given permission to the vet to put her down if
they got into the surgery and knew she was terminal, but due to our mistake,
they weren't able to contact us. She lived through the surgery, and in fact
woke up, doped up and comfortable, before we could get back to the vet, and
then we had her put to sleep. She was so glad to see us one more time I
think that it was for the best. She didn't really want to go but she knew we
had done our best.

You'll know what to do if you listen hard.