[Gpdd] health

MascaraS23 at aol.com MascaraS23 at aol.com
Sat Nov 15 16:13:56 EST 2003

HI again, Last night at 1am I ended up taking Matisse to the emergency room.
He started sounding really awful - conjested, etc. And I heard him sneeze, so
that was it. He doesnt have pneumonia thankfully, but he does have an upper
respitory infection. I dont know how he could have gotten it. I always wash my
hands before holding him and he is in a warm room I believe to be free of
drafts, plus I have a large pigloo for him, towels to cozy up in and lots of
hay..so I dont get it. They gave him an
X-Ray and it turns out he does have one bladder stone, but it is in a
position right now that is not obstructing his ability to urinate. They said the only
way to get rid of it in the piggies is really to operate and she didnt see a
need to do that at this time. He's three and a half anyway..so I dont know if
that would be wise to have surgery. I have upped his vitamin c tablets - the
GTN-50C Oxbow - to two per day, one morning, one evening. He has a ten day
supply of baytril - twice a day. He is coughing/sneezing a bit and his eyes are a
bit runny/crusty, but he does seem to be a little more active this morning.
Still not much water, though. They said his intestines are slightly dialated
which could indicate a blockage. He is pooping but not nearly as much and the
poops are much smaller than usual. I keep a mountain of hay: timothy, orchard and
bluegrass - in his cage each day, so I just have no clue what could cause a
blockage. Any info/advice would be helpful. This is my first sick piggy ever. I
also have another piggy, Neo. I have split their cage - a cube and coroplast
cage - down the middle because Neo recently reached sexual maturity and has
been causing stress to matisse. Neo seems ttally fine except that he is sneezing
a bit. Should I get him in to the doctor right away too?

Sorry to write so much.
Andrea, Matisse and Neo