[Gpdd] HEALTH Check out How to Help Pet Store Guinea Pigs

Susan Eastin susan at boatlift.com
Mon Nov 17 14:55:24 EST 2003

I'm not seeing any links to another site here . . .
But I did want to tell my experience at PetSmart in Tulsa on Saturday.
I had to dash in for some last-minute supplies for the trip, and made it
a point to check out the GP's and other animals.  For once, the guinea
pigs actually looked happy and active (they always have looked ok, though
not necessarily happy),   but I did see a dead gerbil in the
cage directly above the piggies.  There was a boy standing next to me, so
I said "Oh, that doesn't look good.  Does he look like he's breathing to
you?"
He said "No, I think he's dead. I'll go tell someone." And immediately
dashed
off.  He was probably 11 or 12, (I wouldn't want to traumatize a young
child.)
After checking the others, who all appeared well, I went in search of an
employee.  All I found were helping someone else, so I reported it at the
check out. The girl stopped everything til she had a manager there to
inform, he apologized to me and went to take care of it.  Hopefully he did.
I explained to the girl what we have all read here, and how we have agreed
to check on all pet stores possible, as frequently as possible. She agreed,
being a slave herself! (we should wear tags, shouldn't we!).
Anyone else have a petstore experience over the weekend, or was everyone
too busy getting ready for The Trip?
Susi (currently w/o the Okie Piggies!)