[gpdd] CARE re: best type of cage

Renee Roszkowski rrgallop44 at mindspring.com
Tue Nov 18 13:58:32 EST 2003

Congratulations on your upcoming piggie!! You've opened up a whole can
of worms now!! :-)  Everyone has varying opinions on which cages are the
best. As you didn't say where you live, I'm going to give you some
things from the US. First, the newest rage is Coroplast and Cubes cages.
People build these themselves. Now before you say "I don't want to build
anything," take a look at their website. It's www.CavyCages.com. It is
really good. I built one for my piggies and they love it. It didn't take
me long, and it was pretty easy. It also gave me a cage that was larger
than any cages available in stores and was very cheap. I think mine cost
me under $40-$50 and is a 3 x 2 (you'll understand from the site).  It
is my opinion that their research and new cage dimension requirements
are correct. Now, as for commercial cages, here are a few that I think
are ok. The first are the cages by SuperPet. Their "my first home" cages
are good. I would not go with the smallest cage (24x12), but the two
larger ones (30x18 and 40x18) are pretty good. I have my special needs
piggie with a neurological problem in a 30x18 super pet cage. They
aren't too expensive either. Another brand is Marchioro. They make
pretty good cages too. You have to find them though. Martin's cages are
pretty good as well (www.martinscages.com) but the trays are a little
low, so bedding can get kicked out a little easier. Basically, the best
thing to do is to do your research and decide what you think is best for
your piggie and your lifestyle. Hope this helps. Good luck and have fun!

Renee, Mary and Molly, Patches, Kate and Dora