[Gpdd] Misc. Poem, part 2

Algernon07 at aol.com Algernon07 at aol.com
Thu Nov 20 03:08:48 EST 2003

Hi,
     I've never encountered this 2nd part of the poem -- it starts out with
sentiments as grey as the day it describes but then suddenly shines with an
other-wordly light. But it seems so sad that the homeless had to wait even at the
bridge. (Bummer!)
    But then along comes a rescuer and it is that loving heart then that
opens the way for those to whom the door was closed.
    I've read this poem several times. Truly, I didn't like the beginning --
these poor animals trudging along listlessly after death -- believing they
would cross the bridge. (Actually, I've always thought the bridge itself
represented death and the transformation and rebirth that follows.)
    But then we see the very real power of love and its ability to renew and
bring new life in the ending of the poem. It's very touching.
    I'll be interested in what Wilson thinks about this, especially given his
recent experiences with those on the other side of the bridge.
    At any rate, this had something of an impact on me and I'm glad you
published it here.

Alge         (Parent of the "three jolly rodents.")