[Gpdd] [health] blocked piggie...

Bob & Chris Robertson rssg at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 21 17:14:42 EST 2003

our Cleo had an intestinal blockage over the Mother's Day weekend here in
the USA.  Our vet was gone when it started on a Saturday night, so I took
her to emergency.  The vet there took an xray and confirmed a mass in her
stomach, but had no idea how to treat her.

We came home with the xray and one very sick pig.  I went on Peter Gurney's
web page and he said to use mineral oil.  We gave her mineral oil by
syringe, and an hour later I gave her gatorade water.  Then mineral oil
again, an hour later mineral oil.  When my vet called me late Sunday night
(upon his return) he told me to keep giving mineral oil and liquids and if
she wasn't pooping by Monday a.m. to bring her to the office.  Monday I was
sure she would not make it.  I had given her so much oil and nothing was
coming out.  However, the xray showed that the mass had moved.  Our next
step was to syringe feed food and gatorade.  By Monday evening poops began
coming and she was eating hay on her own.  Don't lose heart.  If your piggie
is a fighter they may make it through.  Cleo is 5 & 1/2 and made a full
recovery.

We will keep you in our prayers-

Chris, Cleo & Spookie