[Gpdd] HEALTH: Hair loss -- endocrine system?

Patricia Simon patriciasimon at shaw.ca
Sat Nov 22 11:27:31 EST 2003

Our little boss pig Hazel has been losing a lot of hair in the past month or
so.  There were no visible parasites, however, she (and her sisters) have
been treated with a series of 3 ivomec injections.  The hair is still coming
out in clumps, and the vet now thinks that the pattern of hairloss suggests
problems of the endocrine system -- possibly adrenal glands, possibly
thyroid, or remotely possibly ovaries.  (Hazel was spayed more than 2 years
ago, but one of the ovaries was left intact.)  The vet showed me a big
picture book of endocrine-related hairloss in dogs, and the pattern in the
photos is very much like what Hazel's developed.

We're now looking for any information available on treating these kinds of
problems in guinea pigs.  Hazel is not a good candidate for further surgery
(too many previous bladderstone surgeries, plus the spay and tumor removal),
so if possible we'd like to consider non-surgical treatments.

Anyone with similar experience or suggestions?  Please feel free to contact
me off-list.
TIA,
Patricia