[Gpdd] Announcement: Cinder crosses the Bridge

David Blair dblair3b at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 24 00:59:19 EST 2003

We came upstairs tonight and noticed our Cinderella (we called her Cinder)
had crossed the Rainbow Bridge tonight. It wasn't a surprise, as she'd been
a frail piggie for years. As I said to Beth, for as long as I could recall,
I'd get up in the morning expecting her to be gone so this was not shock.

Still it has hit me hard, as Cinder was my "Therapist Piggie." Here's her
story.

We first met Cinder when we were looking for a piggie in a pet shop. In
those days, we didn't know about animal rescues, and were looking at the
guinea pigs at the shop checking the different ones, and this one particular
black one kept bouncing and following us. We thought she was cute, but
continued to check out the others. Eventually, we took the hint, deciding
that if this little one wanted attention that badly, maybe it was an
important sign and we should pay attention.

She was jet black, with just a very few white hairs on her head forming just
a small white stripe. She also had jet black eyes, and the softest fur; we
used to call her our little Gund piggie. Cinder was always a very sweet,
gentle creature, and a very frail one. When she was about a year old, one of
the things she developed was a wheezing problem, and as it became worse, we
became quite concerned.

We took her to our vet and her tried a number of things to determine what
may be the problem, but we never isolated what the issue was, and finally
realized she was simply not going to ever be able to handle much stress. Her
breathing was often labored, and I often was afraid I would find she had
gone on. This was over 4 years ago, yet this tough, happy little one kept
on.

The year 2000, though, was a very tough one for me, and this is where she
earned the title of "Therapist Piggie." Often that year, I was encountering
very challenging situations, and I found that when I would come to her, and
even simply reach in and pet her, or hold her, I would almost immediately
feel the pressures relieved. As much as my other guinea pigs are loved, none
of them have had this ability, no matter how special. Cinder could do this
for me consistently. I realized that we shared a special bond, this small,
gentle little one and me.

Over the years, Cinder always was there, a gentle, quiet little one who
wheezed, and squeaked as she breathed, but always was there to cheer me up.
Whenever I needed to feel better, I'd go to her, pick her up, and hold her,
and it always worked. When we moved this spring, her breathing became
markedly better, which made me believe that perhaps something in our old
place bothered her.

As she grew older, her cataracts became worse, and we believe she was
effectively blind for the last few months. I would make sure she heard where
I put her food so she found it easily, and always when I came into and left
the room, I stopped and petted her and talked to her, something I don't
always do to the others here (let's face it, there's only so much time in
the day!)

For the past few days, we noticed a small patch of baldness growing, and I
planned a vet visit on Monday, and I also noticed weight loss. I became
concerned that I was finding she was very thin as well. I bought something
to help her pick up some weight by adding a lot of calories to her intake,
since she was eating less, and started holding her a lot the past couple of
days.

Earlier today, I picked her up, held her, and made a big fuss over her,
telling her how much I loved her, gave her a bunch of kisses on her little
nose, and her ears, and I made sure I told her again I loved her. I wanted
to be sure she heard that again, even if she couldn't understand the words,
because somehow I think I had a feeling she wasn't going to be here long,
and I wanted her to have heard that from me. She rubbed her nose against
mine and I held on to her for a bit, then put her gently back down, and she
moved to the back of her little home, and I walked out.

Tonight when we came up, that was where she was, having died in the same
spot. I don't know if she moved from there afterward, but I'm glad I spent
that time with her today. I wish I'd stayed with her, but I had no way to
really know she was leaving. Still, if she is able to understand such
things, she knew I cared for her very much, and that I always was here to
feed her, care for her, and protect her. For a guinea pig, that's what love
is.

Tonight, I don't have Cinder to turn to, to be comforted so I'm not sure
quite what to do. Blizzards is munching pellets, Minuit is running every
time I make a sound, Da Boyzzz are busy being boys, and Gizmo is. well,
Gizmo. Out of habit, I keep turning to check on Cinder, and.

It's a long night here.

David (and Beth)

with Blizzard, Minuit, Da Boyzzz (Gabriel, Michael, Pickles), Evander,
Gizmo, Treasure, Cleo, Nefer, Droopy, Pibb the Jenday, and Camille the
Cockatiel all of us very much missing Cinder tonight

Remembering Dr. Pepper, Little Pepper, Angel, Petey, Teddy, Arnold,
Elizabeth, DadPig, MomPig, Piggie, Sienna, Mirage, Tony, Fuzzball, Mystery
Piggie 1 and 2, and Herbie the Half Moon, plus The Guys, along with Buster
and Abby