[Gpdd] (MISC) Christmas Gifts

Megan mkat at monad.net
Thu Nov 27 04:40:46 EST 2003

I haven't figured out yet what the boys are going to be getting for
Christmas.  They always get timothy hay but that isn't a surprise - it
just makes a big package to open and you know how kids like to open big
packages - this will be Salt and Pepper's first Christmas.

But, I wanted to tell you of one cute project I am doing with Meggie
(she's the woman with downs syndrome who lives with me and who does
much of the actual daily care for the boys - "her boys")  I have 2
girls that are in a tough situation so I get what I can to make their
lives a bit brighter.  One of the things I am working on for the 6 year
old is an advent calendar of sorts - a countdown to Christmas.  I saw
the idea in a magazine.  I have 24 children's socks and I am decorating
them for the season and then stringing them to a ribbon (almost to make
like a garland) - I am placing a number on each sock in order from 1 to
24 and then tucking a small gift in each mini "stocking" for that day.
Well, Meggie wanted to make one for Rodney, Salt and Pepper.  So we
went to Walmart and bought the smallest size baby socks (We needed 2
packages to get 24 - it didn't cost more than $7).  Meggie is
decorating the socks and numbering them.  Then she is going to tuck
treats into some or little stories or poems into others.  We are going
to hang the boy's countdown "garland" over their cages - but high
enough they can possibly get a nibble to a toe of one.

We also have 2 cats, a bunny and fire-bellied toads.  The bunny belongs
(sort of) to the 6 year old mentioned above and the firebellied toads
are her older sister's pets.  But right now, they live with us where
they are safe and well cared for.  At least until the girl's living
situation gets decided by the court.

Well, Happy Thanksgiving to all that are celebrating.  I am off to work
this evening at the hospital from 3 - 11:30 but I don't mind - we have
quite a few patients this year so someone has to be there.  Usually
they try to send as many patient's home as they can - it just so
happens that we have a lot of very ill folks.

Megan
"I have found that among its other benefits, giving liberates the soul
of the giver." - Maya Angelou:

**Please visit this site and pass the address on . . .
http://homepage.mac.com/mollykat/please/helpgirls.html

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you
can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the
people you can, as long as ever you can." -John Wesley