[Gpdd] Announcement: Evander Holypig

David Blair dblair3b at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 30 00:37:05 EST 2003

It was only last week I was writing to tell of the crossing to the Rainbow
Bridge of our Cinder (Cinderella, but we called her Cinder) but we lost
another dear friend today, our sweet Evander Holypig. Like Cinder, he had
been with us a long time, and saying goodbye was hard.

We met Evander in the same store as Cinder. Someone had returned him and
they had him for sale at a very cheap price. Of course, we were very
concerned that someone would think he was the perfect price for a treat for
a large snake, like his "brother" Tony, we had adopted the weekend prior.
So, we brought home Evander immediately, even though we had not planned on
adopting another furry son that day.

Evander was beautiful! He was, of course, already an adult. His left ear had
a tear in it where he had been nipped in an argument with another piggie
supposedly, so the name was very evident- Evander Holypig. His fur was long,
soft, and lavender, with red eyes. He was the most unique looking of all our
piggies. It was interesting to us that we were told he was returned because
he fought often, because we never saw him indicate anything other than a
sweet, gentle disposition.

Evander lived by his brother Tony, who also was brought home to make sure no
one bought him for snake food, since he was also a surrendered animal and
priced very cheaply. I occasionally wondered if they knew each other because
they would occasionally chatter at each other, but mostly, they were calm,
quiet piggies.

We became concerned at one point, though, because Evander became quiet,
lethargic, and uninterested in everything. We weren't sure why, until we
noticed his long hair had covered his eyes! We took a pair of scissors, and
very carefully gave him a stylish trim, giving him unobstructed vision. A
new and different piggie emerged! He was active again (relatively, that is!)
Evander would scoot about at times, hop about, and play much more often. We
realized he was missing being able to see everyone, and it was bothering
him.

Over the years, our little lavender boy was a good little buddy, and always
gave us a rumble and a purr of appreciation for a good backrub (which
Evander defined as "any back rub") or tickle on the head. He simply loved
getting any attention, and was always a great cuddle when you held him.

With the holidays, we didn't get to watch him closely on Thanksgiving, and I
noticed Friday morning his veggies from the night before weren't fully
eaten. He was sitting in the corner and not moving much, which concerned me
a little, but that wasn't unusual for him. I noted it, but had to work extra
that day, so I left. I got home late, and when we came up, he seemed less
interested in veggies than usual. I watched him through the evening, and
decided lat last night I needed to take him to the vet very early this
morning. I called the vet first thing, and got there at 8:30.

The vet noticed a large gas bubble had formed and I knew that in the couple
of days since we replaced the bedding there had been very little production
from Evander. Even picking him up was painful, and elicited a squeak of pain
from the little guy. His temperature was down to 99.6, also a bad sign. He
gave an injection of warmed fluids and Vitamin C along with an additional
medicine to help open his bowels, and gave me some instructions on how to
give Evander, plus a medicine which was basically a laxative to help break
the blockage. I got home with Evander, and started the day keeping him
hydrated, trying to get food (liquefied pellets) into him, and also giving
him some fruit juice to try to keep his energy up. From about 9:30 this
morning, all day I sat in my chair, holding Evander, talking to him,
stroking him gently, and trying to keep him comfortable. It was tough at
times because even a gentle move at times would be quite painful to him,
clearly.

As the day progressed, I could tell he was getting weaker, but I held out
hope something would break the blockage. It wasn't until late in the
afternoon, after the vets were gone, that I realized there was no return for
Evander. I tried calling anyway, in hopes I could find one of our vets in
their office late, but I knew better. I was hoping I could spare Evander an
uncomfortable end to his life.

I held him for several more hours, and finally, about 8:30, the end finally
came for him. I had known, somehow, when I had picked him up over 12 hours
earlier he would never be back in his little home again. He spent those last
hours with me, and I watched as he went though his last moments.

I was positive this morning I was doing the right thing trying to get the
blockage past. I'd never encountered this before, and thought it should be
something we could correct. Looking back with that 20/20 hindsight, I wish I
'd seen the symptoms more clearly, and reacted differently. The vet believed
it was the right course as well.

I learned something hard today, and Evander had to teach me in a very
painful way. I wish there was a way for him to know how much I wish I could
change today.

David (and Beth)

with Blizzard, Minuit, Da Boyzzz (Gabriel, Michael, Pickles), Gizmo,
Treasure, Cleo, Nefer, Droopy, Pibb the Jenday, and Camille the Cockatiel
all of us very much missing Evander tonight

Remembering Conder, Dr. Pepper, Little Pepper, Angel, Petey, Teddy, Arnold,
Elizabeth, DadPig, MomPig, Piggie, Sienna, Mirage, Tony, Fuzzball, Mystery
Piggie 1 and 2, and Herbie the Half Moon, plus The Guys, along with Buster
and Abby