[Gpdd] [HEALTH] <And New Member>

laura whiles ljwhiles at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 1 12:21:05 EDT 2003

Hello Everyone!

I have been observing the GPDD for a while as a fan and have finally plucked
up courage to introduce myself and my wiffle piglets!  I am Laura, I live in
Durham, England with my patient partner Nick and my two squeaker pigs,
Archie (or Ginge) and Bertie (Mini).  I had guineas all through my
childhood, and about nine months ago got a little ginger and white piggie
with a little mohican on his neck!  He now looks like a giant lion with an
enormous mane, but is absolutely beautiful, a real mummie's boy, very
placid, squeaky and licky.  We saw our our little Bertie in a pet shop about
three months ago, much smaller than the others and alone in a corner.  He's
also ginger/brown, and has the sweetest little face and curranty eyes ever.
After a few days, we noticed he was drinking LOADS of water (upto 150 mls
per day), and he was starting to cry as he peed.  So wetook him to the vets-
vet took a urine sample, (Bertie was SO brave, they took it with a needle
straight from his bladder) and told us he had three different types of
poison in his urine, as well as detritus from his bowel.  Said he had never
seen anything like it before.  He ruled out diabetes too.  Bertie has been
on two 10 day courses of antibiotics, with no effect.  The vet said he
didn't hold out much hope, and thought Bertie probably has some congenital
defect such a a tear in his urinary tract which is allowing bacteria in and
not allowing him to get over infections.  He then gave Bertie a 14 day
course of an antibiotics meant for children (unlicensed for guineas but we
were getting desperate).  This made a slight difference to his drinking for
about three weeks, but recently he has started drinking loads again.  Also,
he has had horrendous diarrhoea since the second course (not related to his
diet, it seems), so i seem to think his little insides are pretty messed up.
  As he is not in any pain and is a happy, noisy, extremely personable
little chap, our plan has been to look after him as best we can until the
day comes when he is in pain.  The vet also said there are no other
medicines we can give him and said just to make sure he is happy, and to
bring him back if he starts to cry again.

If anyone has any advice or any experience of any thing like this, please
let me know.

Lots of love,

Laura, Nick, Mini and Ginge.