[Gpdd] Health:mites

Michelle Paschall paschall at qualexphoto.com
Wed Oct 1 13:59:28 EDT 2003

Christina,

I always used the Zodiack kitten shampoo for fleas and mites sold at
petsmart.  It has .15 % pyrethins. Most people recommend only using .5 %
pyrethins on guinea pigs but it  has been ok for me.  I only keep the
shampoo on like a minute though before rinsing instead of the 5 minutes
recommended. I am careful not to get in the eyes.  I use a Qtip for the
face and  use a washcloth to rinse that area.  I do it every 10-14 days
and do three treatments.

 I have also tried the ivermectin orally and my vet only charged me
5.00 for 3 doses.  He would give the first one and give me two syringes
to take home and store in the fridge for the other doses.  I think he is
overcharging you.  Ivermectin is sold in large quantities for horses.
For a guinea pig it is diluted with water or whatever they choose and
the dose for a guinea pig is so small is could not cost that much.  I
live in NC and our vets are pretty reasonable for things like this.

Michelle