[Gpdd] Re: Announcement Parsley and thnigs

Off1Knight at aol.com Off1Knight at aol.com
Wed Oct 1 20:40:16 EDT 2003

Some time ago, I read in the GPDD about one of our readers who's little guy
is named Samoa, please excuse the spelling. I do not recall who the parents of
this little guy were but I do recall that they said he was having problems and
was suffering through them. If anyone knows how the little guy is doing
please either post something regarding it OR send me an email since it's been some
time and I was hoping he/she had recovered.

I would also like to address the parsley issue presently being discussed. for
the past four and a half years, our guy, George the GP, has a cornucopia of
fresh vegetables three times a day..they include (and all fresh) parsley, red
or romaine lettuce, baby carrots, grape tomatoes, celery, basil, dill, with the
following fruits on many occasions, apples, grapes, cantaloupe, honey dew
mellon and rind and orange segments. In addition to this he gets his pellets
(available all day in his "condo" and all the hay he can eat with treats as well
available during his three times out for meals. He goes to the vet every two
months for a checkup because of they are so adept at hiding their illnesses so
well. He consistently weighs in at between 2.8 and 3 lb. and for all that he
eats, he passes these physicals with flying colors. He has had two occasions of
illness, one which we attributed to fresh pineapple and the other a runny eye
which amounted to simple dryness. The long and short of it is that he gets all
the parsley and other vegetables he wants and with the grace of God is and
stays healthy.  I have heard many people saying that parsley is bad because of
the calcium but to date, he has done quite well. It may be because he has such
a selection of food he only eats the foods that his body asks for. The other
very possible situation is that LIKE PEOPLE, some for example of us tolerate
fats without creating a cholesterol problem...yet others avoid 90% of fat in
their diets and STILL have readings in the 300's. So the key to our loved ones
health may not lie ONLY with us, but equally with the little fur balls
themselves. I guess the rule of thumb as in all of us applies...everything in
moderation can never hurt them...BUT there is ONE SINGLE CAVEAT...and in that, there
can NEVER be an excess..and that is in loving them...That and that alone can
work miracles. I have gone on and do apologize for that. The very best to all
your little guys from both me and George. Now it's time for his evening
coffee...LOL..well he has had that on several occasions and even that he lets me know
when he wants it and when he doesn't. I truly think they have all the "right
stuff" built into them. So happy, healing and healthy wheeks to all the little
guys out there from our little guy especially for Elsie and Angel.

Sincerely...

Joseph Petrillo, George the guinea pigs father