[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Lice on Piggies

Lisa lisa at cricklade71.fsnet.co.uk
Thu Oct 2 10:05:34 EDT 2003

Hi piggy lovers and slaves.

Regarding lice on piggies, my two babies had lice and I was so worried I sought advice from my local vet.  They recommended a product called Xenex.  This is a completely natural spray (no chemicals at all!) which covers the coat.  The piggies look really greasy, but it works by suffocating the existing lice and other unhatched eggs can't grip on the fur so they die.  Also it also acts as a long lasting, flea, tick and insect repellent, which gives cover for about 30-40 days.  This spray is also good as a preventative measure in the summer for blow fly strike.  The spray is made purely from plant oils (coconut and soya) and is recommended for all pets, cats/dogs and small furries.  I used it, it worked really quickly, together with a fine toothed nit comb! The spray is made by Genetrix (www.genetrix.co.uk).

Another product that is really good and is recommened by Peter Guerney world guinea pig expert, is neem oil.  This again is totally natural from a tree in India.  It also acts as a repellent and an antisceptic.  I found it on Petsmart as Ekoneem oil.  Again, it does make the coat look greasy and it also smells very strongly of a nutty kind of fragrance, but a very good product. If natural products aren't available, take care not to get a shampoo/spray that is too strong for the pigs.  I found the advantages of the spray and oil is that you don't have to bath the piggies and get them wet, which I would be really worried about, especially as the weather is now turning colder.

Hope this bit of info helps.  Good luck in killing off those pesky lice!

Regards

Lisa

and her two  beautifull piggy brothers, Smokey and Bandit in the UK!